Poconos Pines, PA
Pocono Pines is in the very center of the Pocono Mountains and is where you'll find the top Poconos vacation communities of Lake Naomi and Pinecrest Lake. (voted "Best Vacation Home Resorts In the Poconos) Most of the land was originally owned by the Miller family. And still today the Miller's own a small portion of lakefront and land nearby. Frank C. Miller, Rufus W. Miller and others bought lands on Tunkhannock Creek and organized a corporation known as the Pocono Spring Water Ice Company in the 1890s. In 1895, a 14-foot dam was constructed across the creek and water began backing-up forming " Lake Naomi ," a lake more than a mile long and about one-third of a mile wide. The Ice Company was granted a 99-year lease for the "the exclusive use of the water and its privileges."
In 1902, visitors came from New York and Philadelphia for the first bathing beach and some lots on the north side of the lake for summer cottagers. A sailing camp for girls was set-up on the northwest side of the lake. A Lutheran retreat, Lutherland , was erected on the southern side of the lake. In 1921, a boathouse and beach were constructed on the site of today's Lake Naomi Clubhouse. In 1938, a famous Pennsylvania Supreme Court case took place over who owned the water rights to Lake Naomi , as the surrounding lands were soon owned by many different parties. See Miller v. Lutheran Conference & Camp Ass'n
In 1963, Logan Steele purchased 2,600 acres surrounding the lake which eventually was turned into a resort community called the Lake Naomi Club. Our friend Logan Steel died in the 1980s and the club is now owned by its members . Lake Naomi Club includes 1400 families who own property surrounding Lake Naomi. Lake Naomi itself is a 277-acre lake with private beaches and marinas. There are very active sailing organization, 3 pools, 18 tennis courts and full service clubhouse.
Across the street is Pinecrest Lake
At some point Naomi Pines was renamed Pocono Pines. The main thoroughfare through the current Village of Pocono Pines is Route 940 on is the intersection of 'Old' 940, Route 940, and Route 423, where one can find one traffic light with one gas station and a few surrounding businesses, including a Southwestern Grill and Bar, and a small delicatessen across the street.